Re: [LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

From: <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 17:49:55 EEST

Ralf Mandorf:
> I asked for help, since I don't know everything!

As a general advice for anything professional is

. do your own homework, don't rely on what others say, it is good to
  get input from others, but you have to test/verify it yourself

. be truthful to yourself about what parameters really matters and
  why they matter, usually it is about what you deliver to customers

. get the work done

Nothing about that is in the wiki page.

///

So how to write an instruction for a pro. making linux, in this case
arch, work for them.

First you can expect them to know their Dickreiter or similar textbook.
Second you can expect them to know what matters for their work.
I guess you can expect them to be used to pro.applications in other os's.

Then you don't have to tell the reader anything that isn't specific to
linux and linux programs vs. other os's and programs.
I.e. any discussion about what happens before the adc or after the dac
is irrelevant for the discussion.

///

Reading the wiki page I get the impression it is targeted for the
semipro, so the header is missleading (just as you would do writing for
a semi:). Writing for the semipro. is just hard because you cannot know
what to expect of the reader. Perhaps the best thing is have a few
pointers/links about textbooks, artikles and the like so can establish
a common level of knowledge.

Also I guess the difference is that for a semi pro. it will be more of
a tuturial, like, to record your choir you can do it like this and this.

For a pro. it might be more like:

 A list of programs to start with if you are comming from another os.
 Be candid about what is worse in linux vs. other os's.
 What words are the linux folks using that is different from others
 How do you test your setup, what can you measure in linux.
 A list of parameters:
  . latency (which seems to be popular), how do you change it, what are
    the implications etc., what is the sweet spot for linux
  . xruns, what contribute to it, how can you avoid it
  etc.

///

Well, just a few thoughts.

Regards,