Re: [LAU] Latency issues (Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio)

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 18:06:57 EEST

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 04:32:18PM +0200, Peter wrote:

> Which brings me to my questions. It might be little bit of topic, but does someone know numbers on the
> time it takes between wanting to pay a tune, playing it (e.g. on a bass) and the time it takes until one
> realizes, that the tone is played?

> httc://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

One thing that returns in perception psychology is that our brains
are playing tricks on us, in particular w.r.t. timing of things.

Anyway, the way a musician performs is not by 'wanting' to play
each individual note when he/she thinks it is due, but rather by
picking up a rythm (from other players or from a conductor) and
anticipating the actions required to play. And for trained or
experienced musicians a lot of the motoric activity is automatic,
and the player need to not even be aware of it.

Ciao,

--
FA