[LAU] Latency issues (Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio)

From: Peter <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 17:32:18 EEST

Dear All,

while I'm not an audio professional, I found the (emotional) discussion on the
latencies quiet interesting.

Am 31.03.2017 um 15:49 schrieb Len Ovens:

> That is exactly it. When playing bass, I find that once I am 30 feet away from the rest of the band

30 feet?, wouldn't that be on >80ms latency. If that's the order where 'disturbing' starts then
I find that number interesting, as (if I remember correctly) that's the fastest scale a human can react.

Which brings me to my questions. It might be little bit of topic, but does someone know numbers on the
time it takes between wanting to pay a tune, playing it (e.g. on a bass) and the time it takes until one
realizes, that the tone is played? I think neurons switching time is of the order of 1 ms, so the physical
feedback can take pretty long. Signal velocity in nerves is also not too high. But brain might be cheating
in assuming having played. Is anything known concerning the latencies of a musician?

Best regards,
Peter