Re: [LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

From: <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 19:55:45 EEST

Ralf Mardorf:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:49:55 +0200 (CEST), karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> >As a general advice for anything professional is
> >
> >. do your own homework, don't rely on what others say, it is good to
> > get input from others, but you have to test/verify it yourself
>
> Where should somebody do her homework?

At home/office/studio with their own equimpent.

> The Wiki is intended for professional audio homework.

Good title, use it.

Why not state what the page is not about, and possible
give links to further study in thoose other fields.

Is the text just about the software or do you intend to include hw
aspects also ?

> Sure, the professional user needs to find
> a few things out by her own, but the original information for the
> homework shouldn't give bad advices.

Yes, absolutely.

> Even fixing small issues does help. At the moment the Ardour
> package from official Arch repositories isn't well maintained. A
> professional not involved in the community can't know this, that's why
> I e.g. pointed to the AUR, to build Ardour. Do you expect somebody needs
> to find out this by her own?

No, but evetually they will.

> Why? The Wiki is made to provide such information.

That is good, tell them what is bad and how to get around it.

Also notice, that that kind of advice is time/date dependent,
and it might be proper to date such advice. It also implies that
someone has to maintain the information to see if it still valid.
You might be up for more than you wanted. I think the advice to
give is to be aware of possible outdated packages in the dist. and
to give some more time/date independent information how to check for
that, and how fix it yourself, for whatever package it is about.

> Then there's a pointer to use 1000Hz for those compiling their own
> kernel and at the same time there are links to PKGBUILD that do use
> configs with CONFIG_HZ_300=y for RT patched kernels. The Wiki is there
> to help users, to understand why 1000Hz might or might not be required.

I don't think most people have done testing that, and since I'm no pro.
in the audio field, I havn't tested that either. Personally I don't
believe that CONFIG_HZ matter at all. CONFIG_HZ is about the kernel
ordinary scheduling, the RT patch in some ways throws that away, so
why should CONFIG_HZ matter.

Now the question is how instrument a test to verify that and what do
we want to measure ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar