Re: [LAU] Linux Audio: An overview

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 03 2017 - 15:47:36 EEST

Hey everyone!

Thx for the comments so far!

*Joel*: yeah, I did not go there. In a way, you don't notice ALSA and
PulseAudio when it just works and it feels like the "default" parts of the
system. So I did not mention them. But both ALSA and PulseAudio are
definitely extremely important in the world of Linux Audio. As I said in
the overview, it is impossible to mention everything, so I am happy to read
some comments here.

*Philipp*: Haha. Well, I do hope that the text is structured and laid out
in language that does suggest an intelligent discourse rather than just a
rant. Also, it *is* an overview. Something is considered an overview not
whether it gives an impression of disagreeing, but whether it really tries
to look at many aspects and create an overall conclusion.

"Just as a small example, the connection graph you show is not complicated".

I did not say that it is more complicated that in a typical all-in-one DAW.
I said it is complicated to be set up manually each time. So, I write, it
is better to use a script.

That not all people would find the situation the same is expected. If you
have time, I would appreciate several bullet points on what you feel are
too grim points that I make. No need to spend too much time on this, but I
would be happy to know your opinion on the subject.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:07 PM, <hollundertee@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 09:05:23 +0200
> Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone!
> >
> > A while back I wrote an article, an overview of Linux Audio. Posting
> > it here, just in case people will find it of interest. Do read the
> > disclaimer, *this article is but my personal opinion ;)*
> >

> > Linux Audio: An overview
> > <https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=
> linux&a=linux_linuxaudio>
>
> Hi Louigi,
>
> in my opinion this is more of a rant than an overview. The few positive
> points that you made are well hidden. I do agree with some points and
> disagree with others.
>
> Just as a small example, the connection graph you show is not
> complicated.If you would show the internal routing of a windows DAW as
> such a graph it would likely be more complicated. The difference here
> is that it is made more explicit and easier to follow in patchage.
>
> Anyway, I personally would not recommend this overview to someone who
> asked me about the state of Linux Audio. I do not believe that the
> situation is as grim as you paint it.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Louigi Verona