Re: [LAU] Linux Audio: An overview

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.c.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 04 2017 - 23:39:22 EEST

Le Mon, 3 Apr 2017 14:47:36 +0200,
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hey everyone!
>
> Thx for the comments so far!
>
> *Joel*: yeah, I did not go there. In a way, you don't notice ALSA and
> PulseAudio when it just works and it feels like the "default" parts
> of the system. So I did not mention them. But both ALSA and
> PulseAudio are definitely extremely important in the world of Linux
> Audio. As I said in the overview, it is impossible to mention
> everything, so I am happy to read some comments here.
>
> *Philipp*: Haha. Well, I do hope that the text is structured and laid
> out in language that does suggest an intelligent discourse rather
> than just a rant. Also, it *is* an overview. Something is considered
> an overview not whether it gives an impression of disagreeing, but
> whether it really tries to look at many aspects and create an overall
> conclusion.
>
> "Just as a small example, the connection graph you show is not
> complicated".
>
> I did not say that it is more complicated that in a typical
> all-in-one DAW. I said it is complicated to be set up manually each
> time. So, I write, it is better to use a script.

It will be faster with hibernation
To halt the system, you put it into hibernation and the restart is very
fast (it will depend on the loaded-running software), and you will be
exactly where you was when you stoped it

It will be a xrun, but it doesn't matter at that time

Hibernation/resume will work even with a rt kernel

Cheers,
Dominique