Re: [LAU] Music: 123

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 07 2017 - 01:51:52 EEST

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 00:06:46 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <julien@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/123a

Hi,

> I like the mix of ambient and rhythm driven quality in this piece. It
> brings together two qualities, which in themselves could sustain a
> composition for quite a while, and often do. But either one of them
> can so easily lack the attention grabbing element. Two together make
> a match made in synth-music heaven. :)

Indeed. Such a sustain can be demonstrated by having for instance the
exact same bass for 4 minutes or more without it being tiring. There
are a few I made that are like this as I do not develop much, yet.
Next step would be to introduce (some) developments in sketches. Or
use some that were made and develop them.

> Have you tried processing your
> guitar with some softening effects for such compositions? I
> personally feel that this could make it even more fun. I'm thinking
> of chorus, soft phaser or flanger, slight detuning, big or otherwise
> very ambient reverbs, funny delays, all that sort of thing. They'd
> suit your style of playing to greater or lesser extent. Yes, I grant
> you that this piece certainly had enough ambient sounds. Still, it's
> an interesting thought to consider.

On this one I've used on the second guitar track, the one that's some
kind of a solo later on, the u-he experimental reverb research tool
ZRev of which all knobs have highly cryptic tags. I do not know what
they do, I just fiddle here and there. This is the second time I use
it. I find it adds nice ghostly 'harmonies'. I try not to put too
much. One of these days I'll exaggerate the effect. In general I like
the guitar sound as is though. I like some delays sometimes because
it can retain the original sound. I should try a chorus. You make me
think, I do have one sketch somewhere that uses detuning, which was
pretty as far as I remember it. Maybe I could try finding it. It was
pre-Bitwig era, even pre-Mixbus.

> Thanks for sharing, it came along at the right moment to be an
> inspiration and a clarification of thought.

Thanks for the comment. Now that I've heard one piece from you it adds
another dimension.

Cheers.