Re: [LAU] [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 02 2017 - 19:03:33 EEST

On Tue, 2 May 2017, Joe Hartley wrote:

> Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 May 2017, Jeanette C. wrote:
>>
>>> May 1 2017, Ralf Mardorf has written:
>>> resp. the missing
>>> I have a feeling that most people recommend a mixing desk, but going
>>> directy into the computer is very convenient and saves space. :) Yea, I
>>> do lack a nice hardware channel strip, but a nice one would cost me. :)
>>
>> I have a mixer in my "Studio". Really, it comes from days gone by when I
>> had a Fostex R8 tape machine. I still use it for the mic preamps
> [ snip ]
>>
>> If I was starting over... a mixer would be much farther down the list.
>
> I've only recently removed the mixer from my primary workstation. For the
> most part, it's been replaced by a Mackie passive Big Knob - a big volume
> knob between my Delta 1010's outputs and my powered monitors. I've
> always preferred hardware volume controls, as there'd be times something
> would happen, like using a plugin that unexpectedly ups the gain by a
> zillion dB, causing a horrific howl. Rather than fumble with the mouse
> and look for a control, I want the big knob or fader that I can pull down
> NOW to make the bad noise stop.

Physical controls are nice for sure. I would put a control surface higher
up the list than a mixer. Easy access to a hard wired Mute or Dim switch
or level control is a good thing to have. I prefer not to reach for the
monitor amp's control as I set it with a SPL meter when working on a
project.

Ya, my main development projects are to do with control surfaces so my
feeling on this matter may be a little skewed :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net