Re: [LAU] OT: Monitor setups

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon May 08 2017 - 01:44:30 EEST

On Mon, 8 May 2017 00:02:08 +0200, Maurizio Berti wrote:
>> Real gear as well as virtual gear is connected one time, there's no
>> need to have a picture of all connections. Select the MIDI channel of
>> the wanted MIDI instrument, name the audio and bus faders, that's it.
>> On a real mixing console you would use a permanent maker to write on
>> tape.
>
>No, you don't. You use that workflow if, and only if, you are using a
>permanent setup. I don't.

I'm not using a permanent setup. I even add or remove instruments and
effects during a production. If I'm doing this, I connect or remove an
instrument or effect, but there's no need to have an overview of all
connections. The only thing I need to know is what MIDI track is for
what instrument and what audio track is for what instrument, as well as
what mixer channel or bus is for what usage. To know this, I give
the tracks and mixer channels/buses names, let alone that the
virtual mixer provides the info about the I/Os by text, too.

Could you please give a plausible example why you need a graphic
overview of all connections during a production?

>Or... keep it as it meets your needs. :-)
>I never said that QjackCtl is not valid, it just isn't right for *my*
>needs (again, MY needs, which are different than yours or than anyone
>else), and I think that having complex routing layouts it actually
>doesn't work right. Again, according to MY needs, MY workflow and MY -
>always different and mutable - setups.

Sure, everybody is free to use what s/he prefers. However, if I would
teach a class how to manage audio connections for a project, I would
teach the proved way. Give everything a name with the keyboard if using
virtual gear or with permanent marker on a tape, if you are using a real
mixing console or patchbay. There usually is no reason for graphic
extravagance, it's just time consuming, time that gets lost for the
project.

It doesn't matter if you connect, disconnect, reconnect tens or
hundreds of connections. You only need to care about one at a time and
you can forget about it, after you have connected or disconnected
something.

There are a few exceptions, where a graphic makes sense, but those
exceptions aren't covered by Patchage, they have more to do with e.g.
building a studio, than with using a studio.

Regards,
Ralf