Re: [LAU] AVB on linux: drivers?

From: Bearcat Şándor <bearcatsandor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 16 2017 - 04:48:23 EEST

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
>
> > With regards to Moshe Werner's post on the Motu 1248 working on Linux,
> it seems
> > that AVB (AES67) works on Linux as well. This is a dream come frue for
> me.
>
> AVB is not AES67 (as someone already pointed out). I don't know everything
> about either one... but the first thing about both is that they are a
> collection of standards many of which we already have. The second thing is
> that to make good use of AVB requires the right ethernet card as well. It
> is possible to use AVB to transfer between two linux computers (jack to
> jack) but requires manual setup to get it going. I don't know how well
> setting up AVB end device to linux is supported. It is possible to use
> Linux to connect two AVB boxes. (that is control connections that do not
> go through the linux box) There is a commandline utility for that.
>
> There is nothing from AVB to alsa at this time I am aware of.
>
> The AVB port on the MOTU AVB series is useful in linux for controlling the
> internal routing and for expanding what the Linux box can see through the
> USB port.
>
> Most network audio in Linux (and windows and MacOS for that matter) is
> done by getting a "Sound card" that looks to the OS like an ordinary audio
> interface, but connects to network audio boxes. MacOS does have direct to
> AVB built in in some models but there are limits.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Thanks folks. I was aware that avb is not AES67, but i meant that more like
inclusion. I just discovered that the card that i'm looking at states
that "in-kernel drivers will be released", which gives me hope that i won't
have to keep gatherig modules for old kernel versions,

That was the sum of my thoughts on it really.

--
Bearcat M. Şándor, CEO
Feline Soul Systems LLC