Re: [LAU] AVB on linux: drivers?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 16 2017 - 07:38:16 EEST

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> about either one... but the first thing about both is that they are a
> collection of standards many of which we already have. The second
> thing is
> that to make good use of AVB requires the right ethernet card as
> well. It
> is possible to use AVB to transfer between two linux computers (jack
> jack) but requires manual setup to get it going. I don't know how
> well
>
> inclusion.   I just discovered that the card that i'm looking at states that
> "in-kernel drivers will be released", which gives me hope that i won't have to
> keep gatherig modules for old kernel versions,
> That was the sum of my thoughts on it really.

What Linux needs for network audio interfaces, is a GUI that "does it
all". Some thing that ties the jack dummy backend to the ethernet cards
timer. Something that shows all available streams and allows the user to
connect a remote stream to the linux box and open it as a client in jack
and connect it to whatever jack port the user asks. Simple.... we can't
even use two audio cards on the same machine via a GUI... Ya, USB mics are
a thing.

Some might say "do it with ALSA" and maybe that is right too.... but I
think jack is the right tool for this. It already thinks about routing
from anywhere to anywhere which is what networked audio is about.

This is what makes the MOTU devices so interesting. They give one an AVB
endpoint that is not totally useless while figuring out AVB cause it can
be used as a USB 2.0 device right now.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net