Re: [LAU] checking passive input frequencies on non Hi-Z connection

From: Tim <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 27 2017 - 05:21:17 EEST

On 05/26/2017 09:30 PM, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> ahoy all,
>
> first, thanks for all the informative and detailed replies. this list
> as always is a valuable resource.
>
> one quick follow up question as i digest all this: since it seems
> whether i use a DI box, preamp or effect pedal (one of which i actually do not
> currently have), the overall sentiment seems to suggest using something in the
> passive electric/bass guitar signal chain before directly inputing into an
> interface/mixer. however, as i mentioned, some of these interfaces i am also
> testing out (e.g. Edirol FA-66, Zoom U-44) have a Hi-Z button on an input
> which supposedly allows direct inputing of a passive signal. is this Hi-Z
> button just enabling some internal DI box or preamp? are there drawbacks to
> using it instead of using an actual DI box, preamp, etc? seems like just
> another way to match that signal to something expected by the input, but again
> i am still wading my way through all this.
>
> OK, thanks again for all your advice and help.
>
> peace, w

Hi, if your interface has hi-z input, it's preferable to using something
external.
The internal circuit is tightly designed and integrated properly around
that input.
Minus one power supply for external active DI or effect box (unless
phantom-powered).
Minus one patch cord.
(Never discount either causing trouble, eh?)

I use my DI box for plugging in to line-level lower impedance inputs
like stereos,
  sound cards, or PA systems. Or, with my DI model I can split the
signal and
  record at low impedance while playing through the guitar amp's high
impedance.
Awesome feature.

Tim.