Re: [LAU] checking passive input frequencies on non Hi-Z connection

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat May 27 2017 - 08:28:08 EEST

On Fri, 26 May 2017 22:21:17 -0400, Tim wrote:
>On 05/26/2017 09:30 PM, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
>> are there drawbacks to using it instead of using an actual DI box,
>> preamp, etc?
>Hi, if your interface has hi-z input, it's preferable to using
>something external.
>The internal circuit is tightly designed and integrated properly
>around that input.

Hi,

usually those inputs are just designed to fit the impedance, they are
not designed to sound good. Such an input does replace an impedance
converter, such as a DI box or a workaround using a stomp box, but never
ever those inputs are able to replace a good guitar tube pre-amp. I
might be wrong, but AFAIK those inputs are only provided by pro-sumer
interfaces and not by professional interfaces, so don't expect
first-class input amplifiers at all. However, the line in and
mic amplifiers are much likely good enough for most tasks,
but the hi-z instrument input is much likely missing the
characteristics of a guitar amp input.

Before we start another dispute:

"The only rule is that there is no rule....... It always depend on the
sound you want." - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4241684-post5.html

I don't own a good guitar pre-amp myself, but I used a 19" Hughes &
Kettner guitar tube thingy of a friend. They seem not to sell those 19"
guitar tube thingies anymore, but at least they still provide a stomp
box tube thingy with a red box ;),
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubetools/tubeman/ . I don't
know if this stomp box is good, too. The 19" guitar tube thingy I used
improved the sound a lot.

Regards,
Ralf