Re: [LAU] Yoshimi plays Widor

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 17 2017 - 19:23:38 EEST

Really pleased this is bringing back happy memories.
I first heard it played by a family friend who was a professional organist. He
used to joke that you could tell if an organist was any good by whether he could
play this through without pauses, or falling off the bench at the closing
chords :)

Also delighted it resonates with Jeanny and John :)

Will.

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 08:03:35 +0200
Benoît Rouits <brouits@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Will,
>
> Excellent! Good remembrances of my childhood as Widor's Toccata was
> played in one of the first CD bought by my father, back in the 80's.
>
> It was a disc from the Erato label, I think This was Marie-Claire Alain
> (sister of organ composer Jehan Alain) who played this track.
>
> AFAIR, the CD looked like this:
> https://www.amazon.com/Grandes-Toccatas-Marie-Claire-Alain-Erato/dp/B001C9R5VK
>
> Thank you Will for his colorful moment!
> Benoît
>
> Le 17/06/2017 à 00:26, Will Godfrey a écrit :
> > This morning I posted a new youtube video of Yoshimi playing Widor's Toccata
> > from a MIDI file. This originally came from a public domain library, but I
> > know the piece pretty well and there were several errors in it.
> >
> > I edited these to get it sounding as close as as I could to what I expected,
> > then added the CCs to the front of the file for Yoshimi's bank switching,
> > program changes, and volume/pan levels - I didn't get the pedal level quite
> > right. It tips into the red on the end of the very last note :(
> >
> > On a hifi with a good low end response this will really rattle your windows :)
> >
> > The recording was made with Simple Screen recorder. That accounts for why
> > gkrellm is reporting a far higher processor usage than QjackCtl's dsp figure
> > would suggest.
> >

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcImV6NPP-c

Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk