Re: [LAU] Best practices when using jackd over a LAN.

From: David Woodfall <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2017 - 20:25:46 EET

>On Wed, November 1, 2017 5:31 am, David Woodfall wrote:
>> What I've is that the xruns are all between mplayer and jackd on my
>> laptop. The networking side is fine.
>
>Do you get under-runs when running jackd with ALSA backend locally on your
>laptop? Some applications have really poorly implemented jack support. I
>cannot speak to the quality of mplayer specifically, but larger buffer
>sizes may help (e.g. -n1024 instead of -n128).
>Some applications also try to automatically perform sample rate conversion
>if the output does not match, e.g. you try to play a video file with 48k
>rate audio track but jackd is set to 44.1k rate, if mplayer tries to SRC
>the soundtrack the CPU utilization is going to increase substantially.
>
>--
>Chris Caudle

I've done multitrack recording before using ardour, jack, zynaddsubfx,
a midi (usb) keyboard, non sequencer and some other stuff. I recorded
at 96k (I should have use 48k), but I didn't get anything like the
xruns I am getting with mplayer.

But that was a few years ago, on a different kernel, which IIRC was
setup for low latency. I guess I'll have to do some kernel compiling
again to see if it helps. It's been a while.

Dave