[LAU] Ardour snapshots

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2017 - 20:28:04 EET

Recently, I recorded some additional tracks into an Ardour session, and
the new tracks turned out great, but some levels were changed on some of
the already existing material that shouldn't have been changed, and I'd
like to get my old levels back. I never created a snapshot in Ardour
before these fader level changes.

Fortunately, my machine makes backups every night, and I have a copy of
my old project folder from backups. It's thus possibly to use rsync to
zap my whole project folder back to the way it was before, get my
levels, and then zap it back to its new state again.

I was just curious though:

Is it possible to use the .ardour and/or .history files from my old
backed up folder to get the snapshot I should have made? Is it possible
to recover these files, copy them into the new state of my folder, and
use them as snapshots without changing a lot of other things? The
reason I ask is because snapshots behave a lot like Ardour session
files. (I haven't dived into the internals; maybe they are Ardour
session files?)

--
		+	With the rise of social networking