Re: [LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

From: David W. Jones <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 17 2017 - 02:25:27 EET

On November 16, 2017 10:44:42 AM HST, David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 11/16/2017 01:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > IMO Ardours user interface is completely ignoring the way most
> creative
> > people think, at least when being creative. It's possible for
> everybody
>
> Ok, I'll bite (although every time I respond to you I feel like I'm
> being trolled): How in the world can you drop a blanket statement
> assuming to understand how "most" creative people think, or what they
> like, or how they manage their work flow, or how they'll view a gif of
> dancing something or another ... or what their preferred whatever is
> ...? -- the answer is: you can't.
>
> Unless you have done some serious polling of a large enough set of
> people who have some sort of proven creativity, what you say above is
> complete horse shit. If by chance you have conducted such a poll,
> please
> show the results from the question: "While in the throes of
> creativity,
> does Ardour's user interface completely ignore how you think?"

Well, when I made an attempt to use Ardour, I quickly figured out that its design assumed I was a fluent user of a traditional hardware mixer and an experienced sound tech/engineer ... but I'm no music pro, so could just be me.

At the same time, I handled the physical tasks of connecting cables between modules on a Moog ages ago, so maybe Ardour needs a more physical UI? ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden