Re: [LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

From: Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 26 2017 - 23:59:42 EET

On Tue, December 26, 2017 2:34 pm, Will Godfrey wrote:
> It seems everyone is dropping support for 32 bit machines these days -

64 bit x86 based processors were first released over 12 years ago. I
don't think you have been able to buy a 32 bit only x86 processor for over
5 years now, so the numbers of 32 bit only machines is dwindling.

> It makes me wonder how long it will be before single core machines go the
> same way.

That depends on what you mean. You have not been able to purchase a new
single core processor in quite a few years. As far as I am aware there
are no distributions which build without SMP support, but an SMP capable
kernel can run on a single core, so the situation with core count is not
quite the same as the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit builds.

--
Chris Caudle