Re: [LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

From: Jeremy Henty <onepoint@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 27 2017 - 02:49:43 EET

jonetsu wrote:

> Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I don't know of any sw that requires multicore, ...
>
> Some u-he synths have a multicore option.

Yes, but I am not clear what that means. It could mean "If you want I
can split the work into concurrent processes/threads in the hope that
you have enough cores to benefit from this.". Or it could mean "I
*will* pin different processes to different cores, and I will fail if
those cores aren't there.".

I Googled around but couldn't find anything that really clears this
up. Mentions of multicore support on multimedia sites generally
amount to little more than "Multicore support in the latest release.
Yay!". Gamers often go into more detail, reporting how many cores
their games are using, how it affects the FPS etc., but nothing I can
find describes exactly how the games are deciding how many cores to
use.

(I also found some reports on Ableton sites where people fixed crackly
audio by disabling multicore support.)

Regards,

Jeremy Henty