Re: [LAU] [Off topic] DIY Theremin

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.c.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2018 - 20:00:04 EET

Le Sun, 30 Dec 2018 12:29:10 +0000,
Bill Purvis <bill@billp.org> a écrit :

> On 30/12/2018 11:08, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 01:40:17 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
> >> https://github.com/domichel/black_star_theremin
> > Congratulations Dominique,
Thank you!

> > that's a very nice project :), nice that you make the schematics
> > public domain.

I like the idea to be the first to make such a device with external
antennas. I don't know if it is already a patent for that, but if not
mine is the first one and is into the public domain. The rest is just
classical valves electronics, nothing new.

> > I guess I tried to play Thermin a long time ago for less than a
> > minute ;). How long does it take to learn how to play it in a usable
> > manner?
Depends what you want to play. For types of experimental music, it is
just to play it. The problem is when you want to play a melody. I don't
know because this is my first theremin and I am currently not at that
level. The difficulty to find a given pitch depend for a part of its
octave. It is much easier to find a F4 than a F1, I think mainly
because a F4 is much more familiar to my ear than a F1 (or a F7).

Also the hand synchronisation to get the right volume at the
right time is very different from other instruments like piano or
guitar. But that's easier than the pitch.

> > Unfortunately playing a Thermin has got a learning curve, while
> > playing the Animoog via touch screen is easy to do and does sound
> > almost the same as a Thermine.

I can get a lot of different sounds with it, and for modern
highly saturated sounds, I get much warmer, dynamic and less noisy
sounds without external fuzz or distortion than when using one. A very
cool effect with it is these old Mu-Tron Octave Dividers.

> > However, I like all kinds of synthesizer keyboard replacements that
> > could add some extra touch to the playing, that can't be done by a
> > keyboard. Unfortunately I'm not aware of Thermin antennas, guitar
> > synth and even something comparable to the Animoog touch screen
> > thingy, that is able to provide the data by MIDI out. The Animoog
> > as well as the Roland GR-55 guitar synth provide MIDI out, but the
> > MIDI data does not provide what you get while playing the Animoog
> > with a finger or when using the Roland GR-55's onboard synth.

For the theremin, some provide MIDI Out and some Moog models have CV out
connectors for the volume and the pitch. This CV out solution seam to be
the best one when used with the thereminator:
https://www.wavelicker.com/en/thereminator/

Best,
Dominique

--
If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.