Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?
From: Maarten de Boer (mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 10:51:49 EDT

> So what do you think we need ? More organization ? Does anyone else
> feel that there might be too much re-invention of the wheel ? Can we
> coordinate efforts in some better ways ? Let's put it to ourselves: what
> software do we need and how shall we go about getting it ?

Apart from the suggestions you make about the development of the specific
software (which I fully agree with) I think it would also be good if there
would be a linux distribution that would install a linux audio workstation.
I don't think the audio software available belongs in a standard linux
distribution, and there are a lot of things in the standard distributions
are not wanted and needed by somebody who wants to use linux as an audio
workstation primarily. Also, having such a distribution would contribute
to a necessairy 'survival of the fittest', and it could take care of this
extra development it takes to make good software usuable software (docu-
mentation, easy installation, clear bugreporting)

I know a of people how want to use jMax, and have PC's, and are open towards
installing linux (and have even tried it), but are scared away by it. I am
sure that if they would have a linux distribution that would install all they
need for an audio workstation, they would use it.

What should go in such a distribution ? How much effort would it take to
produce it ? Would should be taken as the base for such a distribution ?

Maarten

PS: it is not the first time I do this, but I would like to urge people to
use FLTK for the GUI of audio software. Fast, small, no bloat.

--
maarten de boer
mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es