Re: [CUD] Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?

Subject: Re: [CUD] Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?
From: Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu (umbpux_AT_tin.it)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 13:52:58 EDT

Hello all. Hello Dave.

I'm not a professional developer but I like to express my modest
opinion.

Maarten de Boer wrote:

> > So what do you think we need ? More organization ? Does anyone else
> > feel that there might be too much re-invention of the wheel ? Can we
> > coordinate efforts in some better ways ? Let's put it to ourselves: what
> > software do we need and how shall we go about getting it ?
>
> Apart from the suggestions you make about the development of the specific
> software (which I fully agree with) I think it would also be good if there
> would be a linux distribution that would install a linux audio workstation.
> I don't think the audio software available belongs in a standard linux
> distribution, and there are a lot of things in the standard distributions
> are not wanted and needed by somebody who wants to use linux as an audio
> workstation primarily. Also, having such a distribution would contribute
> to a necessairy 'survival of the fittest', and it could take care of this
> extra development it takes to make good software usuable software (docu-
> mentation, easy installation, clear bugreporting)
>
> I know a of people how want to use jMax, and have PC's, and are open towards
> installing linux (and have even tried it), but are scared away by it. I am
> sure that if they would have a linux distribution that would install all they
> need for an audio workstation, they would use it.

I completely agree with you. I know professional composers (teachers in
my school) that would like to have a reliable "music machine". Some time
ago, one of them complained: "I prefer to buy another computer that I
could use just for make music but that is reliable than having a
computer that is claimed to be all-purpose but crashes every few
minutes".

I was thinking of a similar Linux-for-the-musician distribution too. One
could maintain it and sell support just like Redhat does for it general
purpose distribution.

> What should go in such a distribution?
Random things that often don't go with standard distributions:

-Both ALSA and OSS drivers with a installation utility that can install
and configure completely the driver and select the driver that best
support the audiocard (waiting for ALSA to bury OSS under its source
code listings)
-Java Development Kit
-Libraries and other things that are often required for running audio
software (Lesstiff, audiofile, FFTW, Gtk widgets, TCL/TK extensions)
-One of the two graphic environments: GNOME (my favourite) or KDE. But
just one of them (see below).
-Of course, a selection of the sound software for Linux and a section
with less stable but interesting software.
-Extension to the available documentation.
-Musical addon for standard software (for example, Csound modes for
Emacs)
-A kernel configured to better perform audio task. For example often a
composer would like to burn a CD with its music. Lets configure the
kernel to do it. It's not so easy.

I think that an end-user would accept less choice and less customization
if he can have a machine that it's easy to start and to maintain. This
means: one graphic environment, one editor, one mail-agent... ok, maybe
it's a bit extremist but I think that the other extreme is worse.

> How much effort would it take to
> produce it?
Don't now but too much for me alone... :)

> Would should be taken as the base for such a distribution ?
Redhat (or Mandrake)?

Some word about Linux audio software development. Pro-developer will
excuse my words

1) Do you think that running audio driver (and other audio services
daemons) under RTLinux could improve the quality of the audio for Linux?

2) Some months ago I worked to (and the abandoned) an audio software
idea: "Abstract Audio". It's started as yet another audiofile library
but I'd like to include code for all standard audio tasks: an engine for
automatic audio data conversion, mixing/splitting and even for the
standardization of command line options. You can continue the list.

I abandoned it because I see that there are many similar project but
they are partial: so we have people that write audio data conversion
code for the audio driver, for the brand new audio file library, ...
etc. I understood that I was working to have a nice toy for me only.
Most of this code has be already written: we have only to put it in a
unique object and define a modern and general API. Just like an
X-Windows for the audio stuff.

Good thing GASP!

A presto,
Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu