Re: [linux-audio-dev] Recording: What do we need now ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Recording: What do we need now ?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 21:33:28 EDT

Michael Stutz wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Paul Winkler wrote:
>
> > I think these are more than closely related: they are (or should be)
> > integral. Sure, there's plenty of use for a good 2-channel editor, but
> > once you go beyond that, there is so much benefit to be had from a real
> > hard-disk recording system. And a hard-disk recorder without good
> > editing capabilities gets annoying pretty quickly (e.g. Multitrack.)
>
> Not only that (and I'm coming roughly from the same place Paul is, skill-
> and interest-wise), but what is the use of a hard-disk recorder when you
> only have one input on your sound card?

Actually, plenty, depending on your working style. If you are recording
only one musician at a time (e.g. recording yourself), you'd only use
those one or two tracks anyway. The advantage of the HDR system is the
non-linear editing and automated mixing. You could sort of do this
currently by recording in ... um... whatever you can get to work
full-duplex; then import the files to snd for editing; then export them
to individual .wavs again and mix with MixW. Very clunky.

(snip)
> Delfin but there was no reliable way to record the sound output -- it would
> be nice to see a tool like /proc/audio that you could use to record the
> sound currently being played by the soundcard, regardless of the format or
> the application playing it (there is a paudio package to do this, haven't
> tested it with ALSA yet).

I tried it some months ago -- it was OSS-free only at that time. Haven't
checked lately.

 Finally, another dream-app is a realitme
> virtual effects processor with a GIMP-like plugin API that the community can
> contribute to. Plug a guitar, mike or other input in the LINE IN, plug the
> amplifier in the LINE OUT and the program is like the ultimate effects box
> collection, and you can pick and choose the effects in your loop:

Cool idea. There are a few attempts at full-duplex processors somewhere
on Dave's page. Problem is, latency here is _extremely_ critical, unless
you like every single effect you use to have a built-in predelay that
you can't bypass. :)

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/