Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 22:45:05 EDT

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> I just hope that support for more medium priced audio cards will
> also happen. Frankly, I can't see myself affording to buy
> a RME Digi32 or Sonorus Studi/o. Cards like Midiman 2044, Korg
> 1212, Audiowerk8, Event Darla and Turtle Beach Montego
> might have more potential in Linux audio. Afterall, currently
> Linux really isn't for the real professional, money is no problem
> people.

This is a very good point. The cards you mention are what I call
"semi-pro". Drivers for these would be very, very nice.

> > 6. Soundfile editors are still not up to par, although recent advances
> > in Snd and MiXViews brings them closer to pro-level software. Simply
>
> Hmm, relating to this, I'd really like start a discussion about
> a common effect plugin API for Linux audio apps. I've been thinking
> about adding plugin support for ecasound - my linux audio project -

There has been discussion re. Steinberg VST2 plugin format (one of *the*
commercial standards) recently on the csound mailing list. You might
want to check the archive at:

http://media.dr.rhbnc.ac.uk/csound/list/

There are at least two threads with VST in the topic...

I believe VST2 is an open standard?

BTW, one thing I like about Snd (though I have yet to actually have time
to make use of it) is that, in addition to a real plugin interface, you
can make a pseudo-plugin out of any external application by adding some
stuff to the config file. It's a slow & dumb way of doing it--writing
temp files to disk, then starting the external app. with the temp file--
but it could be great for people like me who aren't "real" developers
but can hack some csound or suchlike to do interesting things.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/