Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?
From: Bill Schottstaedt (bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: ke heinä  28 1999 - 08:48:51 EDT

I very much appreciate the kind words about Snd! I started work
on it about 3 years ago because I couldn't find such a program

for my own work, so it reflects (as does CLM) my own interests;
I'm a non-real-time composer, interested primarily in sound
synthesis and processing; I've never had any burning
interest in real-time issues -- I'm happy to leave that area
to those who care about it.

On the questions that have come up: Snd's license is a slight
revision of Miller Puckette's Max license, if I remember right;
I consider it a freer version of the GPL, though I also released
Snd under the GPL; you can basically do anything you want with it

as long as you don't sue me.

On the recorder: I get full-duplex with Soundblaster and Ensoniq
cards, so I'm not sure what the problem is there; we recently
got a Sonorus card, so I'll work on that as soon as I find time.

On the plugins: I'm interested in any ideas! I was trying to
imitate GIMP.

On the CLM connection: this is actually my true interest, the
reason I got involved in computer music 24 years ago. I'm hoping
to get CLM-2 done by the end of the summer, then have some fun!

Perhaps this note sounds too defensive -- I am open to any suggestions
(my list of things-to-do for Snd has more than 250 entries), but
I'm not as smart as I once was, and there are only 24 hours in a day.