[linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] What do we need now ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] What do we need now ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 20:53:28 EDT

>(Cecilia, Snd). Then of course there's Quasimodo (how's it going these
>days, Paul ?),

there's been a small slowdown, because my daughter is out of
(pre-)school for summer and i'm often travelling. but things continue
to develop fairly rapidly, and i am hoping that by september, i will
be building binary distributions of quasimodo so that people without
the desire and patience for the compilation process can try using it.

stephane added support for XML and patch saving/restoring, and we'll
be moving to XML for the module files (".orc") soon.

i also spent quite a bit of time porting my turtle beach wavefront
drivers to ALSA, and just recently, on a working native mmap()
implementation for ALSA (see the alsa-devel mailing list).

right now, stephane conversy and myself are hard at work on a new
internal API that will allow quasimodo to be used as a shared
library. i have also altered things so that it can be built without
GTK - quasimodo now dynamically loads its user-interface libraries
just like its modules. at least one english user has expressed
interest in quasimodo-for-the-blind.

i've been focusing on quasimodo as an FX processor recently, which has
given me a different emphasis (real-time latency in particular).

soon, i will really need some people to do development work on new and
existing modules (once we switch to XML).

> 4. How about a MIDI loopback device ? Anyone working on anything like
>Hubi's virtual cable ?

OSS has these already. ALSA does not, I think.

> 7. On a related note, we need more or better hard-disk recording
>systems. SLab is okay by me, but many are put off by the interface.

this is a mild understatement. if nobody else does it, then by the
time i get quasimodo stable, i plan to do a HDR system based on a lot
of the same code as quasimodo and with nice graphics. quasimodo itself
might even do this, but a separate app would win more fans :) if you
like the steinberg/creamware/logic stuff, that will be the general
idea. but it won't be an audio or MIDI sequencer.

--regards,
--p