Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...
From: Michael Gogins (gogins_AT_nyc.pipeline.com)
Date: ti elo    10 1999 - 19:55:29 EDT

Let me emphasize that the download fee for Silence is not a software
license. The source code is pure GPL. You can turn right around and throw
disks of it out the windows of tall buildings and I will not complain.

Let me also emphasize that there is no fee if you do not publish music made
with Silence. You can play with it at home all you like for free. You can
redistribute it all you like for free. If you spend thousands of dollars
putting together a CD using Silence I assume you will not mind paying me
$100.

I simply hate the thought of doing all this work not even receiving any
symbolic or token compensation.

I may change my mind on this, too.

I got into this situation by using Csound for synthesis... I have capitalist
instincts and would naturally want to charge for software... but Csound was
the best thing I could find for my purposes and I could not sell it (or buy
it, for that matter). Music is more important to me than money, so I made
the Silence license the way I did so I could continue to use Csound as part
of my system.