Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...
From: Adam Zygmunt (azygmun_AT_bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Date: ti elo    10 1999 - 20:13:16 EDT

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu wrote:

> Hello Adam, hello all.
>
> Adam Zygmunt wrote:
> > Pitchtracker is neat and all, but it's the sort of thing
> > ethnomusicologists got a kick out of 40 years ago. A pitch-to-MIDI or
> > pitch-to-frequency converter for csound, on the other hand...
> If you are are talking about an opcode that works like midi opcodes but
> listens to a acoustic instrument in real time, I'm not so far from this.

Fantastic!

> 1) My Pitchtrack is a bit more than a port with portable GUI for ptps.
> It can also read an audio file or listen to the audiocard DAC and dump
> an output of this kind:
>
> <PITCH> <START TIME> <DURATION>
>
> that is equivalent to a MIDI file (anyone has C or C++ code for
> generating MIDI files?).

Sounds neat. I'll definitely check that out when I can. Through an error
of mine, it got wiped out when I did a disk upgrade to our server at
mustec.bgsu.edu, where it was last seen. I've emailed Dave Phillips
already today asking him to reupload it to mustec.bgsu.edu if he still has
it, but if you could also send it up to the incoming directory, I'll be
sure that it gets put back right away.
   What I meant before what that having just the printout by itself isn't
particularly useful, but it sounds like your work is a long way from that.
Like I said, I'll give it a shot as soon as I can get it.

> As you can see there's enough to make such kind of opcode.
>
> The note parsing algorithm is not perfect but it works. I'll soon start
> to test it on a catalogue of acoustic instruments samples I'm recording,
> so I can make it more sensible and ready. I have some toy-application
> ("mic2mu", a bare-bone melody dictation software that speaks
> Mudela(Lilypond), and "Sensual", a command line control for doing tests,
> and I'm working to a toy-composition "Interactive Electroacoustic
> Variations": a real-time algorithmic composition software is influenced
> by the tunes singed or played on the mic, variate them and mixes them
> with random generated ones, and uses Csound as real-time synthesis
> engine: I need lots of computational power!)
>
> I was wondering what is the better way to use it in interactive
> composition and a csound opcode may be a choice. If one or two of you
> are interested in a csound opcode I could work on it. I never wrote an
> opcode so help is WELCOME.

Sounds good to me. This is one area where things have actually gone quite
a bit backwards. There used to be some hardware pitch detectors on the
market for musical applications (i.e. pitch-to-MIDI, pitch-to-CV), but I
don't think any are still being made outside of one-offs and custom
equipment. There are a couple of Windows programs that I know of, but an
open source alternative could certainly step in to fill a void. A csound
opcode would probably be one of the best ways to put such an algorithm to
use.