Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: Nicola Bernardini (nicb_AT_axnet.it)
Date: to elo    19 1999 - 16:20:30 EDT

Dear Dave, dear all,

Today, Dave Phillips mi scrisse cio` che segue:

[snip]
DP> That part about "fairly easy"...wasn't it Wanda Landowska who observed
DP> that there's no such thing as an easy piece of music ? (Just poking,
DP> Nicola, don't take me seriously. You know far more about this stuff than
DP> I do, so if you say it's fairly easy then I'll take your word for it.
DP> But mix.c is scary stuff...)

well, I did'nt say 'fairly easy', I said '*fairly* easy' ;-)
It is exactly because mix.c is scary stuff that I'd like to get
more functionality on other side-applications. Whenever playback is
needed, Mix prepares a file, forks off a playback process feeding
it the file. Same for recording (even **easier** perhaps). We just
need to work out a mini-description of the file produced by mix,
then have the playback process parse it out and execute it.

DP> > There are some
DP> > good reasons, I think, to keep Mix out of real time - the first one
DP> > I could really use is to have infinite tracks, or infinite stack
DP> > of effects, etc. (up to memory limits of course). These are things
DP> > no CoolEdit nor ProTools nor whatever
DP> > can do because they always think in terms of real-time (while most
DP> > of the time work is done offline - just previewing is done in real-time).
DP>
DP> I guess I'm still legacy-locked by my experience with Windoze-based
DP> editors and mixers. Nevertheless, I'm trying to find how the approach
DP> you espouse (or the approach taken by ecasound) would work with my own
DP> style. And I'm always willing to learn a better way...

Windoze can only have it one way, I want to have both :)
We will (one day) have real-time stuff like Quasimodo or Pd or jMax,
and then we *should* also have unlimited resource stuff like csound
and Mix (things that other OSes don't even think to do, don't ask me why).
We could even have csound and Mix doing both if possible (as it is
practically happening now), so that as machines get more and more
powerful we do more and more things...

[snip]
DP> When Richard Kent and I first prepared a Linux version of Mix the most
DP> persistent criticism I received was about its lack of support for
DP> regions. Unfortunately the current code is not workable (so sayeth Dr.
DP> Hammer) and should be dumped in favor of something that is. Well, the
DP> end of September draws nearer everyday... ;)

Unfortunately yes (my piece not ready yet!!!). Nobody hold her/his
breath, please.

ciao

Nicola

Nicola Bernardini
E-mail: nicb_AT_axnet.it

Re graphics: A picture is worth 10K words -- but only those to describe
the picture. Hardly any sets of 10K words can be adequately described
with pictures.