Re: [linux-audio-dev] The future of libsndfile

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The future of libsndfile
From: Nicola Bernardini (nicb_AT_axnet.it)
Date: to elo    19 1999 - 16:25:45 EDT

Today, Erik de Castro Lopo mi scrisse cio` che segue:

[snip]
EDC> Anyway, now I have explained it I am less convinced than I was. With a
EDC> little encouragement I'll probably make a decision to change the read
EDC> and write operations from items to frames. From a coding point of
EDC> view its a trivial change but I'm going to try and come up with a
EDC> way of making the change without breaking any existing apps.

How about having *both* in two different calls? (my trotzkist soul
comes out again and again :)

[snip]
EDC> I have also been having some thoughts along the lines of non-destructive
EDC> editing with edit lists etc. My conclucion was that none of the formats
EDC> libsndfile currently supports is all that well suited to this problem.
EDC> My idea was to make a new (or yet another) file format which would
EDC> specifically be designed to be cross platform and allow non-destructive
EDC> editing. It would also be possible to write a rendering routine which
EDC> takes a file in this new format as input and mixes/renders it into one
EDC> of the standard playback formats like WAV or AIFF. The only questions is
EDC> whether this should be part of the library or a separte application.

Let me insist. This is another layer of worms. Let's first try
and have a nice *simple* library. It's important. Non-destructive
editing may be done and is probably done and needed in zillion
different ways. Let's try to implement it first in some application
(like Mix, or the famous Juhana's editor, or whatever you like) and
see if there are enough points in common to build a library with it.
Please. :)

ciao

Nicola
Nicola Bernardini
E-mail: nicb_AT_axnet.it

Re graphics: A picture is worth 10K words -- but only those to describe
the picture. Hardly any sets of 10K words can be adequately described
with pictures.