[linux-audio-dev] non-real-time EQ/FX ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] non-real-time EQ/FX ?
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: ti elo    24 1999 - 09:43:39 EDT

hello everybody !

first of all, thanks to all linux sound programmers for their code
donations !
i've been lurking on this list for quite a while now, and i'm quite
impressed about what's going on.

now, some comments from a non-hacker:

when i compare my analog setup to my computer, there are two things
i miss in linux.
#1 high quality stand-alone parametric equalizing
#2 high quality stand-alone reverberation

what i´m thinking of is true million-dollar-sound :), mostly for 2
track mastering.
now i understand there is always the problem of quality vs computing
capacity.
  so how about having a fast little real-time eq/fx program with
limited quality for knob-twiddling on-the-fly which hands the
parameters over to an off-line algorithm that finally applies the
effect to the sound file in non-real-time ?

this would allow several effects at once, like in a multitrack
setup, without degrading sound. and it would ease hardware
requirements.
  maybe the final pass can be implemented as a command-line filter
that audio files can
be piped into, like:

$cat something.wav | eq | reverb > somethingbetter.wav

does this make sense ? have i overlooked anything that already
exists ?

regards,

jörn

--