Re: [linux-audio-dev] problems with plugins?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] problems with plugins?
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: su elo    29 1999 - 00:09:06 EDT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, David Olofson wrote:
> > Still worried about power? Well, there's always Alpha AXP, but K7 is cathing up
> > on them...
>
> For raw performance HP PA-RISC beats them all. Of course, this is not a
> CPU typically found in desktop multimedia PCs...

Now we're way out of LAD territory, but I felt compelled to ask... Since
I've been working at Digital/Compaq, I've been using Alphas quite a bit,
but I've never thought they were particularly special when compared with
any other RISC system. This opinion, however, is not based on benchmarks,
but rather based on general knowledge of how RISC compares to CISC. (My
group was just spun off, so I have no particular reason to be blindly
loyal.)

Does anybody know how the various RISC chips really stack up? There are
quite a few of them -- DEC Alpha, Sun UltraSparc, Motorola/IBM PowerPC,
SGI MIPS, and HP PA-RISC -- and Linux runs on all of them. (Yes, I know
that x86's since the PPro have been RISC at the core, but there's no way
to bypass thier CISC-emulating microcode, so let's ignore them for now.)

Which is really fastest at the same Megahertz (and who currently has the
fastest overall)?

Just curious.
Div.