Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plug-in API design decisions; please consider

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plug-in API design decisions; please consider
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_v.gp.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: ma syys   06 1999 - 18:48:01 EDT

Old message here...

David Olofson wrote:
> .-------
> | Are we concentrating fully on audio-only, or
> | should we take other forms of data into account?
> `-------

And sound in general is more than just sampled audio! I would love to
be able to deal with short-time spectra, LPC frames, timestamped audio
fragments, time-varying matrices, who knows what all. Going down this
road does make the system unprecendentedly involved....

If people who program streaming video think what they'd want in a
plug-in system is the same as what we'd want for audio, sure, at least
reserve field-space for merging it in. I'm leery of going out and
designing a video-processing system myself, since I don't do video and
wouldn't want to use a video guy's idea of an audio system either.
(Consider DirectShow, formerly known as ActiveMovie. You can tell.)

Video people have god-awful synchronization issues that I never have to
think about. Their frames are much longer than mine, so they might
consider it reasonable to hog the CPU for 20 msec. I dunno what else
might come up. You know, the more I think about this the more I think
the job is quite big enough already.

A counterargument is that if we ever want video/audio sync to work, we
probably have to do the work up-front and get it right now.

The rest of your post I'll have to read when I have some time.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/