Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re:

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re:
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma syys   27 1999 - 19:17:00 EDT

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, thudson_AT_cygnus.com wrote:
> Of course, it might be worthwile to go beyond just gui elements. I've
> been toying with a System Exclusive Editor/Librarian toolkit. The other
> idea I have is something similar to OMS, that would discover (allow a
> user to describe) a midi setup, so that midi apps could specify connections
> to real midi (or software) devices rather than "/dev/midi0."

Hmm... I think that kind of functionality should go into a central system
service - not into applications or even toolkits. What I mean is, SysEx
interfaces, MIDI mappers and that kind of things should be realized as plug-ins
of some kind.

One part of the logic behind this lies in the design I'm working on for
Audiality. As I intend to use a generic event system - much more powerful than
MIDI - throughout the system, MIDI data on the application level would only
result in added complexity. Interface plug-ins will handle the translation
from/to MIDI events, and they could also provide a basic SysEx interface, so
that a special librarian client can request, record and send raw MIDI SysEx
data. (Actually, SysEx can be sent through my proposed event system, so there
are many ways to do it.)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer