Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 00:24:20 EDT

I think, though I am not sure, that I am beginning to be convinced by
David's arguments, mostly because he has finally made clear to me what
he has in mind for measuring time (and more precisely, sample time)
accurately.

Unfortunately, I see no way to use an event system and stick to my
original design goal of code compatibility with Csound. Csound has
already provided more than 400 opcodes to Quasimodo, with another
hundred or so left to go. Were I to get enough volunteer activity to
rewrite most of the Csound opcodes to work with an event system, I
think it would be fairly easy to switch to using it (I have already
done some other, more sweeping changes than this, and they went in
very simply). But that seems unlikely. The legacy of its opcodes is
just too good to walk away from - tens of thousands of lines of useful
code, just waiting to be used.

So for now, I will stick to Quasimodo's current timestamp free,
asynchronous parameter update model. But adding an event buffer to
each closure would be simple, and so if anyone wants to start
rewriting the opcodes to use it, just let me know :)

--p