Re: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: [rtl] Beowulf and RTLinux (and NIC latency)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: [rtl] Beowulf and RTLinux (and NIC latency)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke syys   29 1999 - 19:32:43 EDT

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> OK, here is a reference about some of the difficulties that typical
> OS's and h/w create for distributed processing on a "regular" network
> (ethernet, FDDI, ATM):
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/tr/1994/07/UW-CSE-94-07-02.PS.Z
>
> Its called "System Support for Efficient Network Communication", and
> is a summary of Chandromohan Thekkath's Ph.D thesis.
>
> The paper is a little old. It would be great if better controllers and
> Linux' networking stack have eliminated most of the problems that
> Chandu wrote about, but I am not sure that this is true.

>From what people working with NICs (RTLinux or Linux) have told me, there are
no hardware problems. And I'll use the NICs are high speed serial ports with
dedicated RTLinux drivers...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer