Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio demonstrability: NOT!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio demonstrability: NOT!
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke syys   29 1999 - 22:50:51 EDT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> You cant have apps without hardware. You cant have hardware without apps.
> Bitching about lacking one or the other is pointless.

At least we can comparitively easily do something about the software side.
Not too many people can sit down and build a pro-audio card from scratch,
although I remember reading about one project on DLP's page that's trying
to do just that. You can always write software that expects better
hardware to come along and catch up with it in a year. Why else would I
be silly enough to try writing a sequencer in Java?

Similarly, I think it's great that the ALSA and other low-level APIs don't
place limits on audio sample rates and bit depths or number of I/O
channels just to make them match today's sound cards. The same APIs, and
thus the higher-level software we write that uses them, should be able to
work just as nicely when 16 channel, 96 bit, 48 kHz cards are as common,
well-supported, and inexpensive as Sound Blasters are today.

Does that make us eggs or chickens?
Div.