Re: [linux-audio-dev] 3D audio?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 3D audio?
From: Francois Dechelle (Francois.Dechelle_AT_ircam.fr)
Date: to syys   30 1999 - 05:07:05 EDT

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> I have made some experiments with 3D audio with headphones. I have
> a GUI where I move the source around while the effect is heard in
> realtime.
>
> Is somebody else working on 3D audio at this practical level?
>
> By the way, would somebody please shortly describe how 4 speaker
> system is used: one stream, four channels interleaved? I plan to
> experiment with that kind of 3D audio too.
>
> Yours,
>
> Juhana

Juhana,

There is the Spatialisateur (a library of jMax patches), developped
at Ircam, that does 3D audio and can be configured for headphones
or speakers (any number). It is widely used in Ircam productions.
However, it is not free (it is an application developped with
jMax, not a part of jMax) and it is distributed by the Ircam forum:
http://www.ircam.fr/produits/logiciels/log-forum/spat-e.html

About the encoding of the audio stream, I don't know much: it looks
like there are several standards (Ambisonics is one of them)
and there is usually a stage that translates the output of
the 3D audio processor to the diffusion system format (this
is part of the Spatialisateur).

François