Re: [linux-audio-dev] new sequencer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] new sequencer
From: P.J.Leonard (P.J.Leonard_AT_bath.ac.uk)
Date: ke loka   06 1999 - 04:55:11 EDT

David Slomin wrote:

> On a side note (so to speak), has anybody played with Cantor, the other
> Qt-based sequencer project? It was a very quiet project, no announcements
> and no web site, and I don't know if it ever got very far. Is it
> worthwhile downloading, building, and installing it?

 Hello,

  I am responsible for cantor. There is no work going on at present.
There seems to be little point in continuing now kooBase (now Brahms)
has taken over the Qt slot. There are I believe at least 3 people
working
on Brahms/aRts they seem very keen and I have very little time myself.

We did talk about sharing a common song structure which could be used by
both projects with some sort of CORBA interface. But the practical
difficulties
seem to be too great. I am not sure what Brahms is doing long term about
the problems of using OSS. When I tried out kooBase I liked the GUI but
the sequencing was a bit unstable.

 If you have an AWE32 with some memory and a midi keyboard
then you might like to play with cantor. It allows you to load
individual
patches from the .SF2 font files. You can also use it to map midi
controllers
onto any of the AWE32 voice parameters (make your pitch wheel into a wah
input).
YOu can also load midi files and then play along if you want.

 The music representation also implements a subject observer pattern
which
is useful for building GUI which automatically redisplay phrases etc (I
did
not see this in kooBase ?).

 The interface to edit songs just about works and I have written stuff
using it
but it is not very intuitive unless you share the same brain patterns as
me.

  cheers Paul.