Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin API
From: thudson_AT_cygnus.com
Date: ke loka   06 1999 - 08:42:02 EDT

Elliot Lee wrote:

> Unless the API is somehow relying on stuff from the kernel headers (which
> would make it "broken" in any case), it's already cross-platform. It's
> possible to implement almost any given API on a cross-platform basis. An
> example that comes to mind is gtk+, which was written with only UNIX in
> mind, but has been ported to Windows (BeOS in progress).

Yes. But there is a big difference between compiling/running on a
given platform and being platform agnostic. I haven't seen any commercial
products using gtk+ on windows.

I agree that for an audio plugin API in C, chances are pretty good that
it would be fairly cross-platform, as long as there was no mix of gui
code. Perhaps the point I should have made is that some thought should
be given to existing plugin API's, so that vendors would not have difficulty
moving their existing code to Linux.

> I think you'd have to try very hard to come up with an example of an API
> that wasn't cross-platform.

DirectX

Thomas