Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin API
From: thudson_AT_cygnus.com
Date: ke loka   06 1999 - 09:07:49 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> If the API under discussion here is to succeed, there must be
> *compelling* reasons to use it. By "it", I must stress that I mean the
> API, not the facilities that can be accessed by using it, since under
> Linux, they are always available via other routes.

Thanks for better stating what I was trying to get across. The API is
worthless if not widely adopted. If one could go to a vendor of
commercial plugins and show them how easy it was to support this API
alongside VST or [plugin api du jour], more code might be ported to
linux and along with it more pro hardware support. I really believe
that the first pro audio vendor to annouce support for Linux will
open the floodgate. Everyone has a wait and see attitude, but no one
wants to be left behind.

It might be possible to write a VST-compatible layer on top of this
API. However, if this API assumes functionality in the plugin that
most existing APIs don't implement, it would be difficult to do.

Thomas