Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 20:52:23 EDT

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> scrolling screens matter. if i want 64 channels. there is no way to
> *ever* fit them on the screen.

I don't think scrolling is the way to do it. Cakewalk is really getting on my
nerves at mixdown time for that very reason. (Well, then there's the
DirectKplode problem, but that's another story...) 30-50 tracks is just plain
h*ll to navigate that way, as you lose orientation as soon as you touch the
scroll bar. And scrolling any other way takes too long.

I have two ideas...

1) Add a "bird's eye" view, that clearly shows where on the virtual
   mixer you are. Problem: Would it actually help much? (The bird's eye
   view would be very small...)

2) Organize the mixer in groups, and actually *split* the mixer into
   one console for each group. It's now up to the user if he/she wants
   to simulate "the big console orientation problem" (making it worse
   through scrolling), or take advantage of the fact that the mixer is
   virtual.

> >KDE has already this kind of multitrack recorder.
>
> well, thats an area i stay away from. the whole Qt thing just leaves a
> bizarre taste in my mouth,

Same here... I still use the desktop, though, as it's rather stable, and still
provides a better integrated desktop than GNOME currently does. GNOME is nice,
but it still has too many little problems that make me fire up a console to use
good ol' bash, and of course, mc. :-) (I still use mc. Have yet to see a
GUI/mouse based fm that doesn't just get in the way when doing more than two
operations in sequence...)

> and the idea that every application is part
> of this "big thing" leaves an even funnier taste.

Yeah... The desktop tools (file manager, some basic document viewers...) do
benefit a lot from the solid integration, but it should probably end there.
However, one of the reasons that I don't use GNOME for now, is that it has
problems with some applications + clipboard. KDE isn't perfect either, but it
currently works a lot better. One not very nice side effect of "freedom of
choice"... Oh, well.

> note that this is
> not even a GNOME application, just a Gtk-- one.
>
> what is is called ? just so i can take a look :)

KHDRec, if it's the same one we're thinking of.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer