[linux-audio-dev] MCS: 64 bit timestamps?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] MCS: 64 bit timestamps?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: su loka   10 1999 - 18:32:25 EDT

Hey! I just remembered one thing I thought about the other day:
timestamp type.

The timestamps we have been talking about so far are sample counts.
My idea of local time in sub nets means that every cycle will start
at sample 0, and max 2 Gsamples/cycle is probably quite acceptable
for most people. (Hey, there *are* oscilloscope boards with 10 - 40
MHz sample rate, and buffers may be longer than one second, so we're
not *that* safe!)

But what happens with the running (sample) time? It's not a big deal
to handle wrapping in the engine, and as long as local time is always
relative to the start af the current cycle, there's not much of a
problem.

However, as seen in Paul's sensor thread example, it makes sense to
use absolute time in some situations, let alone as the global time
used by the MCS.

So, 64 bit time and timestamps?

//David

PS. What about my unofficial TLA "MCS" (Multimedia Communication
System)...? MuCoS? Well, at least it shortens the posts by half a line
every time used! :-)

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer