Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 14:43:49 EDT

> Furthermore, I would like to be able to MOVE parts of one sound to another,
> possibly on another track,
> which makes the non-destructive stuff complex (I certainly don't wanna
> duplicate data until necessary).

If you're attracted to the fixed-size blocks in a single file model, you
can make it work like a miniature filesystem within the file. Keep a list
of "i-nodes" (chunk pointers) in which only the list has to be changed to
reorder or delete chunks. You can even store the list in a progressive
manner such that it represents the history. Upon "commit", you
essentially defragment the file. I once worked on a database that worked
this way.

Not that I recommend this method, but it could potentially work for you.
(Yes there is the issue of edit operations that cross chunk boundaries
which complicates things quite a bit... left as an excercise to the
reader. :-)

Div.