Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 21:34:12 EDT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, David Slomin wrote:
> If you're attracted to the fixed-size blocks in a single file model, you
> can make it work like a miniature filesystem within the file. Keep a list
> of "i-nodes" (chunk pointers) in which only the list has to be changed to
> reorder or delete chunks. You can even store the list in a progressive
> manner such that it represents the history. Upon "commit", you
> essentially defragment the file. I once worked on a database that worked
> this way.
>
> Not that I recommend this method, but it could potentially work for you.
> (Yes there is the issue of edit operations that cross chunk boundaries
> which complicates things quite a bit... left as an excercise to the
> reader. :-)

Hmm... This method is nice for (dedicated) systems that have to work
very close to the hardware limits, but PLEASE *KILL* that "commit"
operation! It's probably the *one* thing that users hate most about
digital recording systems.

"Commit!"
Bzz...
Rattle, rattle...
Zrrr...
(A few seconds or more later:) "Done!"

This is not how to do things with the crazy HD performance you can
get for a few $100 (at most!) these days. Use the new technology to
save *time* and nerves, not money.

But of course, if you're going to get rich on selling overpriced HDR
units that cost you close to nothing to build, the "commit" style
might be a way to save some on the HDs... :-)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer