Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 20:18:06 EDT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > abilities are leagues ahead of anything yet found on Unix. It will
> > offer capabilities to KDE that have so far been found only on OSes
> > like Windows, BeOS, etc.
>
> yes, aRts is great but .... sigh - "offer capabilities to KDE"
>
> Windows, for all its faults, is an OS. BeOS is an OS. KDE is not an
> OS! what is anyone doing "offering capabilities" to the bloody desktop
> architecture. this is *insane*.

Uhm... I really have to agree there. System services should be
*system* services - not something you can have if you use some
special applications and/or daemons that need lots of other stuff to
work.

> the work that Stefan has done on aRts is wonderful,

Indeed. :-)

> but this idea of
> there being a desktop, rather than an OS, that offers these
> capabilities is a dangerous path, and it fractures our community.

Yep...

> I am
> not going to run KDE or GNOME for the foreseeable future, and anyone
> who thinks that the way forward is to build functions into either of
> these systems that are not part of the kernel or a standalone program
> is not my friend.

I use KDE because I like it, and because it does a good job as a
rather complete desktop environment. But if it's about to turn my
Linux box into SuperWindoze or MegaMac, I'm going to run something
else on my *GNU/Linux* system soon.

Sorry for sounding harsh and negative for a moment, but this *is* a
dangerous path that all too many skilled and motivated hackers seem
to be going down.

Keep it modular, flexible and generic. The most reusable and
efficient parts could go into the kernel, maybe even as an extension
of the OS standard. UN*X is a *very* powerful design, and IMO, the
Right Thing (tm) is to stay close to that standard, possibly
improving on it, and avoid building high towers of layered APIs and
"subsystems". High buildings are hard to move around, and even
harder to combine with other such structures...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer