Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 20:46:43 EDT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> But audio has no inherent connection to the Unix graphical
> environment.
>
> I don't want phenomenally useful tools ending up as part of that
> *graphical* environment when they should be part of *the {Li,U}nix
> environment* instead.

Or; does my dedicated Linux based sampler/recorder rack box have to
run X, Qt, Corba/Mico etc, just because I want to base it's software
on aRts? Sorry, but it would *possibly* run SVGAlib and a clean,
simple, custom GUI.

> >GNOME is a good thing, in my book.
>
> in mine too. i just don't see that it has any place defining audio
> standards that might have a role in non-graphical programs.

...and meanwhile, *I'm* trying to turn this new API into something
that's generally useful in complex, high bandwidth, real time
streaming systems. It should require only the Linux kernel and the
most basic stuff around it. I'd be disappointed if a basic engine
and some plug-ins wouldn't fit on a bootable Linux floppy.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer