Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux-friendly MIDI interface boxes?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux-friendly MIDI interface boxes?
From: Christopher Jeris (cjeris_AT_math.mit.edu)
Date: ke loka   13 1999 - 16:02:04 EDT

>> (mention of my secret "Emacs for patches and sequences" project)
> That sounds interesting. How are you doing it? What will your
> extension language be? I'm afraid I can't help you with your
> question. :|

It's a project I've mentioned before, a long time ago - maybe on
alsa-devel ? I'm a little leery of talking about it because I'm a long
way from working code and don't want anyone to mind if this doesn't go
anywhere. Basically I want to take an Objective Caml interpreter
(http://caml.inria.fr/) and extend it with the ALSA sequencer API, then
build a set of higher-order functional operations for manipulating synth
patches and midi sequences. Eventually there would be visual editing
facilities together with an interactive top-level interpreter, that you
could converse with to express more complicated operations that don't
reduce to single mouse clicks, like "take this whole bank of patches and
remap control knob 4 to Overdrive with depth +63 in all of them, moving
any previous routing to Control Change #nn." (Look Ma! Instant Controlled
Bleeding!)

O'Caml is the fastest implementation of a "civilized" (read: strongly
typed with higher-order functions and polymorphism) language that I know
of, which is why I chose it. I am hoping the MIDI protocol is slow enough
in relation to current processors that I might not even have to
micromanage the garbage collector too much when it comes time to handle
sequences. Having a hardware interface to handle timing would be nice,
but PBD's reply makes the situation look pretty grim on that front.

peace,
Chris Jeris