Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Kai Vehmanen (root_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: to loka   14 1999 - 10:04:37 EDT

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

>> Currently most studio gear is designed to handle stereo-data
> yes. and this is going to look very old fashioned in a very short
> time as computer-based (read: unlimited by conventional h/w
> constraints) solutions become more prevalent. nuendo is a clear
> demonstration of that.

Stereo-systems may look old fashioned, but they won't go away. I'd
love to be able to mix my music using >2 channels, but how would
I distribute it? Consumer audio, CDs, MDs, cassettes, LPs, radio,
TV, etc. etc. are all stereo-based. Of course this will change at
some point, but I can't see this coming any time soon. The technology
is already here, it's not the problem.

Hmm, can you briefly describe what Nuendo does...? I haven't used
Windows/mac audio apps since SoundForge4.0...

>>connecting chains to each other.. This way I could easily simulate
>>strip-bus combination or go even further...
> on lesson i've learned in 13 years of programming is not to push for
> too much abstraction at the expense of usability. juhana has certainly
> talked and written and coded some interesting stuff about arbitrary
> processing nets, and David's proposed engine does some of the same

I've tried to come up with a design, which would allow me to flexibly
combine mono, stereo and multichannel audio chains, but it always gets
too complex (computationally). If I just use mono chains to represent
multichannel audio, this again will complicate the effect configuration
as I'd have to connect stereo/m-channel effects to multiple chains.

Any suggestions?

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing