Re: [linux-audio-dev] heads down, no talking

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] heads down, no talking
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke loka   20 1999 - 19:20:45 EDT

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> i think that several people (myself included) may feel that the S/N
> ratio on the API discussion between David and myself has gotten too
> low. Its not that we're not talking about important stuff. Instead,
> we're not talking about something for which there is any coherent high
> level plan, Gunter's efforts nothwithstanding.

I have actually been getting the same feeling lately. There is too
much information and too little structured documetation and *code*
ATM. It's beginning to get hard to keep track of it all without
forgetting some details.

> i'm going to bow out of any API discussions for the time being, and
> instead of discussing it plan to actually implement a system similar
> to the one described. although the details of the event system may
> need to be thrown away, much of the code (dlopen() etc.) will probably
> be pretty close to what any API would use.

I'll take the chance to actually start writing that document, and
implementing some of the things we have discussed. First, I'm going
to investigate the event system; connecting and fixed vs. dynamic
event size. (I have a feeling that the latter can be more efficient
*and* more flexible, and the difference in complexity is starting to
look smaller the more I think about both systems. Let's see if I'm
missing something.)

Let's hack! :-)

//David

PS. Ideas are still welcome, of course! There will just be
significantly less traffic on the list for a while. :-)

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer